Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Holiday Music


BIN, originally uploaded by Justin Davis Davanzo.

Nita and I both love Starbucks...heck, we love coffee and Starbucks happens to be just one of many suppliers of this lovely dark, roasted, sweet, yummy substance that gives me so much joy and meaning in life...but i digress.

The other day, I think it was Friday of last week, we walked in and WHAM! There it was...Christmas music playing already...at first we didn't really notice it and then as we were ordering our Grande and Venti it seeped in like a secret experiment...like a controlled subliminal alien message. Nita noticed it first and said, "oh my gosh, holiday music" and there it was. Just like that we had moved through the turkey and come out the other side into the parallel universe of Black Friday, soon to be followed by Cyber Monday.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Christmas time just as much as the next coffee fiend in line, but I just wasn't quite ready yet. I feel so forced into the mindset. I couldn't believe the fact that there were strategies being played out all over the country for Black Friday shopping and lines were formed all around different stores with crazed parents and lunatics chomping at the bit to get the shopping over with. Me? I'd rather lie in a pool of wet horse poo and eat flies.

did i make that too clear? not that I don't want to shop, but what the *&^%#@???? I just can't imagine lining up at 5 am in the morning with a bunch of lunatics just to get my shopping over with. No.

I prefer to wait until the last week because at least those lunatics are like me...procrastinators who are willing to wait until they really feel the holiday spirit grab hold of them and scare them into submission...we are all looking at each other and understanding our plight and it gives us strength and solidarity. Besides, the sales are just as good and frankly, thanks to the lunatic type A shoppers, the lines and crowds aren't as bad...so there.

my point? not sure today...i think i realized that December 1, 2009 is here and the official countdown has begun to 2012 and the end of the world. At least that is only two more years of shopping.

Love and Understanding.

No comments: