Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bob


cacti, originally uploaded by Justin Davis Davanzo.

And so it is in this life...I just took a walk outside, in the cold to get coffee and go to the bank and then it happened...a homeless man having a seizure named Bob...I was there as it was happening and in the past I wouldn't have acted i think...but these days, having the first aid and the job i have, i am more inclined to get involved...so I did...he was seizing and foaming at the mouth and two other guys stopped and together we were able to help him...hold his hands, call 911, get him calmed down a bit...i was scared he was maybe going to die in my arms...He took this huge breathe and reached up for me and grabbed me...like it was his last moment and then all the breathe went out of him...just for about 2 seconds...then he seemingly fell asleep...his pulse was only 60 bpm...scary...so we waited...and in that moment i was sad...sad that this human being was alone and scared and then I felt ok...i was there with another man holding his hand and letting him know that someone cared for even one second....this is not about me saving someone because all i did was take some action, but it is about remembering our place in the world and the preciousness of our life...the recognition of others lives and the opportunity we have to help those in need...and so life goes on, and I walked home...

So today...and throughout the holidays, be an angel for those who need it most...even a smile, a moment...you never know who's life you will save...

Love and Understanding

6 comments:

Ms. Conley said...

Such a profound moment. WOW...Fantastic photo :-)

lu said...

This place where you are in life, it's beautiful. Thank you for the many moments you've smiled and sent out kindness ....
Big Love,
Lu

Lisa said...

What a powerful story and a perfect reflection. Thank you for your bravery and for being his angel today. A true act of love and understanding...blessings to you this Christmas :)

Anonymous said...

I'm just proud of who you are and how that defines your action in life, son.

Anonymous said...

i've had similiar experiences. it changes you forever.
divine order is lovely, really.
no matter the outcome, just as long as you recognize it for what it really is.
big hugs,
grace

Anonymous said...

Justin
Should I have any near death experience I would certainly be fortunate to have you be the one holding my hand.
Love
Mom