Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Politics and things

Ok...so i read this morning that Clinton will most likely be conceding to Obama...I think that is fine and as this whole thing unfolds I can only wonder what the American people will do with this opportunity.  I am not very political and nor do I pretend to understand all the issues, items, concerns etc, but I do know that this next election will be a part of history that I get to live through and I do feel somewhat eager to see something totally different and new happen.  I think that the climate of our world today needs to see some drastic things change...quickly.  I am not a doomsday kind of guy, but lately it seems like there are so many things pointing to "us" as the only thing left to really make a stand and start making changes...in the way we think, act, create, plan and live.  I am not searching to become a tree hugger or a vegan or a left wing anything...but I am feeling like the things going on around us each day are pointing to the way of the Romans...barbarian hoardes, Circus Maximus, gluttons and careless consumption, you name it, I think we all need to take a step back and for a moment think about the little things we can do to make a difference.  I for one, know I can make a difference in the gas situation by not driving much these days which obviously helps the environment...what a great excuse to try something different and NOT drive....I feel for you guys in LA, but guess what,   the weather there is pretty nice and I'll bet you could find a way to commute a few times by bike in a week...try it..don't puss out.  Don't make excuses.  Do it.

I think humans are getting way to soft, too scared, too concerned about things that really become excuses to not be responsible for ourselves.  You know the old cliche.."when I was a kid I walked both ways uphill and didn't have legs."  I think now more than ever, it is becoming apparent that we are used to everything being easy and safe and not taking our own responsibility for things.  Now, I am not a parent yet, but sometimes I can't believe how goddamn scared parents are around their kids...for chrissake, cut it out....stop scaring the crap out of your children over the small little things in life that we all did as kids...stop treating them like retards and give them some credit for being smarter than we think because someday they will be responsible for the planet and if they don't learn how to take care of themselves, how the F will they take care of bigger things...remember my blog about being big kids and the class president???

Ok...so Obama is a big kid now, and McCain is a big old kid (who in my opinion should be given a fitness test to become President), point being, how did they grow up?  Do we really know all of the people around them and for them and with them?  Are they kids that had shitty childhoods with something to prove?  Are they well rounded?  Did they have rounded and full childhoods?  Are they sensitive and thoughtful? Does it even matter?  Do they still laugh and cry and think outside the box?  ok..ok...I know...i sound like a big kid complaining possibly, but it dawned on me today while reading the newspaper that Clinton and Obama are at the end of the race and by stepping down she is "helping" maintain the strength of the Democratic party...good for her...why don't they all figure out how to get together and make it stronger than ever...right now...Republicans be damned...I mean all of them...before we are F'd in the A regardless of being a Dem or a Rep.  Who gives a shit....Just make it right.

I for one have no political preference these days other than trying to hear it and understand it and make a choice based on the right things to do...of course, my view of right is different than yours and theirs and that is a good thing...but I think we could all agree that the price of gas is the least of our worries...

Ride a bike and think about it.


Love and Understanding

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Well said...
I think the word you were looking for in paragraph 2 is "spoiled." We're surrounded by spoiled brats ranging from age one to forty one.
You said that parents act scared around their kids...worse, I think many are scared OF their kids and forget who is the parent.

Luke said...

I hear you dude! I've ridden the grey shark to work 18 of the last 22 work days. And I have to wear a dang suit and tie. If I can do it....

Ms. Conley said...

Does it count if I drive a Prius? I vote Madison for President!