Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tragedy

I was having a beautiful day today working as  a SAG driver for a century bike ride in Boulder..that means I am driving back and forth on one of the legs in the century to support the riders...right near the end of my shift, we all heard a call that a cyclist had been hit be a truck...I was 5 minutes away and came up on a horrible scene....the above picture is the result, apparently, of a rider who had tried to cross the road and never saw a truck coming....I sat with one of the course marshalls who had been there and seen it and she was really shaken up...I was sick to my stomach as a cyclist to be reminded of how dangerous our roads are.  I saw them pick up the body and I later found out he died of his injuries at the Boulder Hospital.  His leg was nearly severed and I am sure it was a horrible thing to see.  

I don't think it really matters who is at fault today and I was very disturbed to read in the daily newspaper, already, comments from people who are completely callous of the fact that someone lost their life today...The same thing that happens every day all over the country and the world I suppose, but when it is right in front of you and real...then, I think it is a different feeling.  I can't quite enjoy my day today knowing that there is a family who is completely changed...Having been a cyclist for a long time and having many friends and family who are also cyclists, this really hits home and reminds me how precious life is.  I am thinking of that family and I am happy to be home and have mine.

Love and Understanding.

2 comments:

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

What a tragedy. So sad...