Friday, December 7, 2007

and now I am a ski instructor


well...it is official..."Boy from Los Angeles decides to move to the mountains and become a ski instructor...news at 11."
I woke up this morning...of all days, Dec 7..the day that will live in infamy..Pearl Harbor...and at 6:30 am i peered out my window and saw the following....
yes...snow on the ground in Boulder which for sure means snow in the mountains. I have had a job interview scheduled at to work as a ski instructor for today at 10 am...so I packed up my ski gear with the intention of also skiing today after the interview...might as well right? Little did in know there would be a full foot of fresh snow on the ground! My mom dropped me off at the bus stop and I got on the tour bus...this thing was cush...and we drove the 20 miles up the canyon to Eldora Mountain which is just outside Nederland Co. Winter wonderland it is...snowing and perfect temps outside and no crowds on a friday. Now some of you may be thinking that I must have undergone some pretty rigorous interview questions to get this job...well..it went a little like this..

I shaved this morning thinking that it would make a good impression..you know..job interview and all. I then thought maybe i should dress in the appropriate ski garb, boots and all to make a good impression and then I showed up early to the ski school office, thinking that would make a good impression...when I got there, John, who I had spoken too 3 weeks prior and had also made the appointment himself, looked at me with a blank stare and said, "are you sure you have an interview with us today?"
oh great..here we go...the usual ski industry flakiness.....i said" well John, you were the one who suggested we do it on Friday at 10..are you sure it wasn't on your books?" and just as that comes out of my mouth, the young man (probably all of 23) says.."oh, here it is, i had it on the wrong page!..sorry." No problem...then there is a bit of commotion as the upper management tries to figure out who has the time to interview me...lucky me i get Katy....now, Katy is about 5'10, blonde and the typical cute ski girl only she has on a very official walkie talkie radio holster like the ski patrol where, but she is maybe 24...(i feel old already)...Katy takes me upstairs and the interview goes like this....
Katy: So, how long have you been skiing?
J: Well, since i was young...umm, i'm 35 now, so that hopefully says alot. Oh and I used to teach for 3 years in Oregon as a level II PSIA instructor, oh and I speak Spanish and used to run my own company so i'd love any management opportunities you might have.
(awkward pause...now at this point, i think she is a little flustered at...well, you know, me being older and, well kinda handsome, and really overqualified for the job.)
Katy: Well, gee, i don't think i need to ask you any more questions..umm, how many days do you want to teach?
J:4-5 i'd say to start.
Katy: Can you start next week??? I think you would be really awesome as a part of our school.
J: Katy, I can start tomorrow if you want...i just love to ski...
Katy: Do you have your social security card?
j:no
Katy:Well bring it back on Sunday and we'll get the paperwork going for you and then you can just jump right in.
J: ok! sounds great! I'll see you soon then!

I remained seated and she walked off...i think i just sat there with a dumb grin on my face, knowing that I fully deserved this job because of my experience and, ahem, maturity, but it somehow felt too easy...then i remembered something, this is what life should be like...easy...for 3 weeks i have told most people that i already had the job....so here it is...just like i thought...
so now, I am on to the next thing...getting that amazing place to live, which is a 2 bedroom house on a lake...i'll let you know when that happens...


point being here, go for it!!! no matter what, you can change your life and path and journey in a moment and the universe will simply give it all to you if you believe it....

5 comments:

Ms. Conley said...

LOVE THIS SO MUCH!! LOL......Can't wait to see your new 2 bedroom house! That is also yours!!!

melissa said...

Congratulations! I wish all job interviews could be like that! So excited for you!

Swirly said...

I am a firm believer in manifesting what we want in life, and not surprised in the slightest that things went so well for you at the interview. You created this, and I think the world would be a much better place if we could all embrace the idea that life can be this easy more often. They are lucky to have you!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Justin!!!!!!!

That is perfectly wonderful news!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Would you like to be a super member in our skiing site in exchange for a free advertisement? Check the site: http://www.abc-of-skiing.com

Please reply if you're interested.

Thanks!