Saturday, September 27, 2008

bad apples


bad apples, originally uploaded by boxersiciliano.

i am horrible, but i need to talk politics again...ok...last night, during the italian feast at my mom's art studio/bilbo hut/cozy home, we feasted on angel hair pasta with an incredible shrimp, mushroom, tomatoe, sauted in olive oil and garlic sauce...yum...among olives and cheese and good things...and we decided, as good americans, to watch the debates.

I am glad we did. I must make a few comments...

Is Mr. McCain a T Rex? I mean, what the heck...he can't bring his arms up above his head and he looks and sounds ridiculous...ok, i understand they are war injuries and for that i am sorry and such, but still, i can't watch that guy speak and then his barbi doll wife gets up there and looks like her knees will bend backwards...i mean come on...can we please just take a moment....

and unfortunately, i think Barack needed to grow some balls last night and take charge a bit...it is so obvious that he is well spoken and polite and refined compared to the old T Rex, but being president also means kicking some ass...i do want a bit of that too...so Barack, kick some old ass...i mean, i think they should have a strong man competition for the rest of this race...you know..who can lift a 5 pound note above their head and run faster in a circle...or maybe, who can spank the fist lady harder...
or maybe, shoot a game of HORSE...or run a down and out pattern, or
gee...i don't know, maybe just a down n out UFC fight...kick the crap out of each other.

i kid, but really, when I watched them up there speaking and going on and accusing and acting like 12 grade students, i had the thought that again, are we really watching this in this day and age??? Is this what our country boils down to? Is it really that difficult?

I still know who i will vote for, but I can say at this time, i am not totally impresses about anything these days...yes, i think there is hope and yes i think we can change, and yes, i think that old men who can't put their arms above their head have feelings too...but come on already...
Do we really have time?


My mom and i laughed and guffawed and got angry and were surprised...but in the end, we ate our wonderful meal and felt ok for another night in the kingdom of the new world...

10 billion dollars a month in Iraq, 700 billion to bail us out, how many trillion in debt to China, i don't know, sounds to me like we might have a problem getting another loan....

hope you like potatoes

love and understanding.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Son,
Excellent final paragraph. I'm thinking I can't vote for either guy. Why can't one of them say, Look, I'm not going to stand here and tell you to vote for me because the other guy is an idiot. I'll tell you what I think, and you can look at what I've done already, and you are all smart enough to decide if you want me to lead. Or if you prefer my opponent. But let's stop fighting and start focusing on fixing the problems.

I don't know, maybe we should all just stay in the kitchen and cook. That sounds good to me.

Anonymous said...

Justin
I agree with your Dad...cooking in the kitchen, for those we love, is the way to go!
Too, your entry was both hysterical and sobering, and so well written (as usual). The 'gift' you have for the power of the narrative is amazing.
P.S. I take it back..."bad apples" is stunning (I thought that "barrel" was my latest favorite) but you are turning out so many luscious photos these days that it is hard to choose favorites anymore.
I bask in reading about the pleasures and travails in your searching and your adventures in life. You are nurturing something important...your dreams.

Gracie Garp said...

Oops..
That last posting was not meant to be 'anonymous.' As your Mom, I don't need to maintain anonymity...

Justin Davis Davanzo said...

love that you are both reading!